Friday, March 7, 2014

My wife, the teenager

There's something strange going on around here.
No, the cat didn't run away to join the circus. My grandsons have not suddenly chosen to like broccoli more than brownies. Nor has my wife decided it's time I had a car of my own.
No, the thing that has transpired in our happy home is much more weird and unexpected than any of the aforementioned list of possibilities.
She got a smartphone.
An iPhone, to be exact.
Her "old" phone died quickly and completely, leaving her feeling a little panicky and cut off from the rest of the world. Fear not, though, as I was able to pledge my continued loyalty to our cell phone company in order to procure her a new communications devise that is smarter than ever.
Now, all she's got to do is learn how to use it.
I confess, I was a little concerned when she chose a phone with enough brain-power to send men to the moon and beyond. Her prior track record in terms of learning her way through the ins and outs of cell phone technology has been less than sterling. But surprisingly, she who could not be convinced to learn and remember how to actually turn her former phone on and off, has begun to talk about things like apps and other features far, far above my pay grade.  As far as I can tell so far, the darn thing can search the internet, find directions from point "a" to point "b", forecast the weather, receive and send emails, send and receive many, many text messages, take pictures and shoot videos. There's even a rumor going around that her new phone can also make and receive calls, but this is yet to be confirmed.
But thanks to this sudden advance in technology, it's a sure thing that both she and her phone are now definitely smarter than me and the vintage flip-phone I insist on carrying. And while that's actually no big hairy deal to me, it has been interesting to see how quickly she has adapted to life as a quasi-teenager, connected full-time to both the world wide web and her bevy of gal pals. As far as I can tell, the biggest difference between her mid-life posse and the teenage set she used to hang with is the type of topic they talk about. Instead of football players, algebra tests and shoes, they now text mostly about something that's far more important and influential in  their lives and the lives of others.
Grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment